Monday, December 11, 2006

Coins Of The Biblical Realm

In the famous challenge to his kingship, Jesus Christ has given to us this now memorable Biblical statement:

Render unto Caesar, the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s. . .

We know that he was referring to the coin of the then Roman realm under which the Jews were obligated to pay tribute.

But have we actually seen images or replicas of the coins then in use? Christ mentioned Caesar because we now know that the image of Caesar was in one of those coins.

And as ardent practitioners of Christianity, we have learned of the other coins mentioned in Holy Scriptures. We have read about the stater, the denarius, the shekel or half-shekel, and even of the drachma. And yes, the poignant widow's mite.

Now, we can actually assign images to these terms that we so often encounter in our readings of Holy Scripture.

Here’s the place. Images come from the same site.

4 comments:

Hopalong Cassidy said...

Thanks for the link to all the coins of Biblical times. I had previously never seen a collection of Biblical times coins.

Señor Enrique said...

Fascinating! I never would have discovered this link on my own. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

First tiome to visit your two sites..

paron me for the redundancy,

Happy Holidays :)

Amadeo said...

Hi, All:

Thanks for visiting and being interested about this subject that also obviously piques my own curiosity.

I suppose most things of the past incite people to curiosity. I know it does for me.

And peace, to all people of goodwill.